Saturday, March 04, 2006

I called in to the Kevin Smith Show!

No... I am not referring to "Silent Bob" here. The Kevin Smith Show that I listen to is served up via streaming audio on the internet just about every night of the week from 10:00pm to 12:00pm Eastern time. Kevin discusses paranormal topics ranging from ghosts to U.F.O.s to Bigfoot and other so-called edge science topics. Since I was a huge fan of "In Search Of", "Sightings" and other types of paranormal TV shows, I am happy to have found this program. When I was a little kid, I always found myself glued to the TV during these types of programs even though I would get a little freaked out by some of the subjects and have a tough time sleeping at night.

Kevin broadcasts out of the Phoenix, Arizona area. Oddly enough, I found out about his show a week or so after I got back from vacationing in the area. [click here to see what I was doing there] Too bad I didn't know about him sooner. He is such a down-to-earth guy that I probably could have arranged to visit him!

Anyway... I called in during an open line show. There was no guest on this particular night, but the topic of discussion was Darwinism. It appears that the theory of our old buddy Darwin has more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese. I spoke to Kevin about viruses and how they seem to be a completely alien thing that fails to fit into the criteria scientists use to define a living thing. Viruses are simply written off as an "exception" to the rule.

I have become a fan of Kevin Smith after 6 months of listening to his show on pretty much a nightly basis. I enjoy his approach with regard to the topics. He states over and over that he does not "believe" in paranormal things... either they happen or they don't. These strange things outside our normal understanding may be as easily explainable as the occurrence of an eclipse. For instance, ghosts may be completely "natural" things in our world, we only lack the understanding to explain them because they do not fit into what we think we know. Kevin often plays devil's advocate, quite politely I might add, and tries to cut through the faith that accompanies most discussions of paranormal phenomena.

Kevin would rather hear about what his guests and callers think and not what they believe. He encourages people to simply admit that they do not know something... nothing wrong with that. When one feels they have some obligation to explain the unexplainable, they force themselves into a position of arrogance. One also limits their thought process and deprives themselves of the knowledge to be gained from further investigation.

I am amazed at the amount of shows Kevin is able to broadcast... usually 5 shows a week! Booking all those guests can't be easy. His guests have varied backgrounds and share their knowledge on varied topics. I am amazed at the overlap of the subjects as well. What do I mean? Well, it seems that you can't discuss ancient civilizations without also bringing up extra-terrestrials. Discussions about ghosts lead to discussions about human spirituality and the capability of some humans to perceive the paranormal. The alien abduction phenomenon often incorporates facets of government conspiracies and the extra-terrestrial agenda.

This stuff is way out there... and that is the point. Luckily, Kevin is as objective as he can be. His interest in these topics may make him more willing to accept the paranormal unlike others, but this is not a bad thing. Having an open mind and not being limited by one's ego is the best way to learn. Does he completely agree with his guests and feel that their take on certain subjects is the only truth... of course not. That is not the point. It is more like this: here is what this person thinks, this is their evidence, you decide what you think, but we'll have fun talking about for a while.

My words for skeptics... It is easy to tell someone they are wrong when there are no right answers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »